Thursday, August 20, 2009

Fifth Night

I didn't get to sleep till 6am this morning and woke at 11am. Though I felt it was a better sleep than I've had yet. I'm still getting so many spam phone calls, it's like all the concentrated efforts of the industry are focused on my new phone number. I've already applied for the Do Not Call list, but it hasn't seemed to work yet.

Then I got a phone call from the Orthopedic office I went to in NH for my trigger thumb. They'd sent me a bill and it said that I owed another $50 on top of the $50 I paid for my first visit when I received a cortizone shot. It also said that I owed another $68 on top of the $15 I was charged for the second visit which was a 5 minute check up in which the doctor only said I should either live with the pain or get the surgery.

The woman explained that the cost of the shot I received was $100 and that I was only charged $50 because when I was being released they didn't know I had been given the shot. I told her that they had my chart, they knew I had no insurance and that the doctor told them I'd been given a shot. I heard him. She said she doesn't know what happened, I said I wasn't lying.

Then the lady said that for the second visit the doctor told them to only charge me $15 because he felt sorry for me and it was a quick visit. So they would reverse the $68. I said it was a bit like buying a pack of gum at the store for $1 and getting home to find you had to pay another $1. I asked her why I wasn't told the costs while I was there. She just said that they were being nice because I didn't have insurance and that if I wanted she could write up the full costs for the 2 visits and send me the full bill. I got so mad, I asked her if she thought it was right? That I get charged 2 times the amount I paid, 2 months after my first visit? How can I plan for costs that I'm never told to expect? She wouldn't answer, just kept saying how much of a favor they were doing for me.

As far as I could get with her was the reversal of the $68 for the second visit and told her to send me my records and a corrected bill for the $50. As soon as I hung up I burst out crying. I don't even know why. I was hysterical. I wasn't sad, I was angry and I shouldn't have been bawling my eyes out. I called my husband and once I could get the story out, he agreed that it was completely moronic and insane for them to do that. Still don't know why I couldn't stop crying, he thought it might be low blood pressure or sugars from dieting, I think it might have more to do with nicotine withdrawal, it could be both, it could be the depression.. who knows, but it's over.

My first two bills, Comcast & Car Insurance, are both due in 2 weeks. A total of $372.35 but the Car Insurance will be covered until January, and the Comcast was high for the installation fees. Still with no income yet in sight, I'm very protective of my stash.

I got caught up on True Blood yesterday. Season 2. Very good I must say, and damn Eric grew on me. I liked him in the books but I wasn't too fond of him in Season 1 of the show.

No comments:

Post a Comment