Monday, July 27, 2009

I'm shocked that you're strutting..

Woke up at 6:30am to get my brother's car down to the mechanic for 8am. It needed an oil change and we wanted the mechanic to check the shocks and tell us if it could pull a trailer if we got a hitch installed. The manual says that it can take a class 2 hitch but I wasn't sure if it was in good enough condition. We went to breakfast then drove back because it was on the way home and the call forwarding we tried to set before leaving wasn't working so we'd have to go all the way home to get the message then drive all the way back.

The mechanic said that the car actually takes struts and if we wanted to replace them it would cost $400 but that they were in decent condition. So we told him we'd get them later if he thought they'd survive the trip to VA. He said they would and also that the hitch would be $550 to install. So we declined on both and went home, I spent the next hour looking up hitch prices, comparing to truck rental prices, with or without a car dolly and presented all the info to my parents.

Then we drove to my eye exam appointment. My glasses have been bent out of shape several times since I've been here and I didn't think they'd last much longer so mom decided to buy me new ones. The appointment went well, no issues, only a slight change on my prescription from 2 years ago. The doctor put several drops in and I was having a real hard time seeing afterwards. When it came time to pick the lens type and frames the girl was obviously new and trying to hard sell the expensive lenses. I was trying to ask mom what she thought because she was paying for them, but the girl kept cutting me off and telling me how great an investment they were. Mom got fed up and berated the girl, then my brother chimed in and we left.

After lunch we found a Lenscrafters half an hour from there (1 1/2 hours from the house) so we drove over and picked out some decent frames. They were having a sale on frames, $100 off, so that was ok, the frames I picked were $140. Mom chose the featherweight lenses, which were $190 but didn't have the anti-glare coating that my old ones did so it's taking some getting used to, but at least I have a non-broken pair. Lenscrafters also had a lab in the store so the glasses were ready in an hour and a half.

If the old ones had broken while I was in VA I'd have to drive to the eye place with hopefully patched enough glasses to see and then wait up to 10 business days for them. Not a pleasant thing to do, not by myself.

Mom and Dad decided tonight to get the hitch installed and book the trailer, so I'll be doing that tomorrow after the 8am meeting with the garage contractor. The weather today was supposed to be massive rains so we'd planned on doing inside chores but it ended up being a super bright, hot, muggy, foggy day but we were out for more than half of it. Dunno what else we'll have to do tomorrow but I've still got a huge list of things to get done before my move.

Thanks to my friend, C, for helping me test out the call forwarding before I left for my eye appointment today. Since we don't get cell service at all up here, we had no way to check ourselves. By the time we get down to town and have service it's too late to fix it if it doesn't work. It worked great! Definately a great feature to have out here in the sticks when it takes at least 2 hours to get anywhere and back.

Welcome back to my friend, AR, who finally has her internet turned back on after a month! And also congratulations on the internship.

*Crossing my fingers and giving hugs* for both of my friends, R & N's, grandfathers in the hospital tonight. I hope both get well soon!

*Big hugs* for my friend, D, things will get better!

No comments:

Post a Comment