Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Thumby Weather

Tuesday was my brother's birthday. Mom wasn't feeling well all day so we stayed home instead of going out to Longhorn Steakhouse like he wanted. I drove down to the grocery store and picked up some good hamburger, a small birthday cake and stuff and made him hamburgers. They turned out really well. Everyone deserves a good birthday.

That night I stayed up to keep an eye on Mom. She was sleeping in the recliner in the living room and my brother slept on the couch. I heard her throwing up so I ran down to help her. Then a little while later she decided to move up to her room because she's afraid of lightning and there was a massive thunderstorm. The living room has huge windows and doors that lead out to the porch. I personally thought it was gorgeous.

A few hours later my brother ran upstairs and said mom had been calling for help but I seriously didn't hear her. I don't have very good hearing with one ear anyway but I usually manage. I had a small fan pointed at me and it was hard even hearing people on the phone with it so close. So I moved the fan even though it's so hot in this room all the time. I checked on her a few times and she seemed to sleep well the rest of the night.

She had a doctor's appointment at 8am so we had to leave the house at 6:30am. She wasn't feeling well at all. The doctor said that a blood vessel burst, either from all her throwing up or just from the general diabetic retinopathy. He said that was what was causing all her pain and that he couldn't really see how the surgery was healing through all the blood. She had an appointment last week though and it was clearer then so he still felt good that it was healing well. He changed all her medications and eye drops again and gave her more oxycodone for the pain. Her next appointment is on the 6th and we're hoping she'll be well enough to fly to Florida on the 9th to see my other brother and his family for almost 2 weeks.

She's always in pain, she barely eats, she's often abrasive. It's been tough dealing with her. When I made dinner tonight, she was sleeping in her room. Since she hasn't eaten a real meal in almost 2 weeks and had been naseous all day I assumed she wouldn't want any so I didn't wake her. She then started yelling that we hadn't invited her to eat and that she would just eat an ice cream sandwich because no one cared to feed her. I had just made it, it was too hot to eat still, my brother offered to get her some but she said no. Yet she still complained for another hour.

Next Tuesday, the 7th is my 30th birthday. Which kinda sucks because I'd been dreaming of having a really fun party for once, ever since I planned my husband's 30th 2 years ago. I haven't had a big birthday party since I was really little. I always thought I'd be dead by 30, so I guess anything is better than that :) My family has been planning a party for me on the 11th at my brother's place, but while I'm sure it will be nice, it's not the same.

On Wednesday I take my brother to the airport at noon. He's flying to Texas to pick up our nephew from visiting his mother's family. Then they're flying to Florida to meet up with all of us. After I drop him off I have to rush back north almost 2 hours to get to my Orthopedic appointment for my thumb. It's my last shot (figuratively and literally) to avoid surgery on it. The first shot helped a LOT, but I still get shooting pain when I press something like the sleep button on the iphone or gps or turn a screwdriver. Sometimes for no reason at all it will just ache all the way to my elbow. I hope it works, luckily I can cross my fingers :p The shot is only $50 but the surgery will be expensive given that I have no health care or job.

I received my draft copies on Monday of my resume and cover letter from the Monster.com writing service. I think it looks pretty good. Certainly much better then I could have ever come up with. I've got to write them back with a few changes I think, then I'll start posting it everywhere and use the job finding company that my husband also got me for my birthday present. Crossing more fingers that they can find me something good, not just bareable.

We've been having so many strong thunderstorms here lately that the internet has been off for long periods of time. Even the cable went out a few times and the power shut off several times but only for seconds. The storms also carved out ditches in the dirt road up to the house and a giant crack between the driveway and the road. If they don't come fix it soon, I may have to go try to fill it in some. It's almost hard to get the jeep across the ditches, but my brother's car is barely able to make it.

Lastly I just want to say Happy Canada Day to all my (soon-to-be) fellow Canadians!

No comments:

Post a Comment