Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Bastien, Say My Name..

I barely got any sleep today. I passed out around 5am and woke up at 7 to get showered and dressed. Left at 8am and didn't get to the Kennel until 10:45am, met Princess and drove her home, didn't get back till almost 2pm. Long drive!

Princess was neglected and starved at a Puppy Mill. She had to fight up to 20 other dogs for scraps of food. The rescue worker said that Princess was in the worst shape of all of them, so it was obvious she wasn't winning. She's got some scars on her legs and face. She's still obviously way too thin, but her coat has grown in and her personality is curious and happy. She's been scared of the house, the rescue lady said Princess has never been in a house before. She took to the backyard right away and was rolling in the grass until I finally got her to come inside to eat.

UPDATE: More info on Princess from the Rescue Group
She was in a coma twice and had pretty much lost her will to live. Not surprising when you consider she came to us weighing 50 pounds (a good 35 pounds underweight), with constant diarrhea, and covered with lice. But we weren't going to lose her and slowly Princess recovered. It's hard to believe this happy girl with the bright eyes and so much personality is the same dog.


She's been too afraid to come into the bedroom with me. It's the only room open that has carpeting. She sits at the far end of the hallway watching me while I'm on the computer. She's ok coming into the room on her leash though, so I took her around a few times. Right now she's laying down just outside the door so I guess that's great progress for today :) I'll have to put her in her crate tonight, she's not house-trained. I don't know if she'll like it or not. I got the biggest one they had so there should be plenty of room. I gave her a spare towel and an old pillow for now but I'll have to get her some blankets.

The rescue lady said that the name Princess doesn't suit her very well. I agree. She's more tomboyish, curious and when she gets up to follow me somewhere she's like a lightning bolt. I'm going to try to come up with a better name for her. So far I'm leaning towards Firefly, Windy, Leia, or Pepper. but it'll have to be approved by mom :)

When I got home with Princess there was a message from the manager of the Michael's store near me to schedule an interview! Yay my first one :) but /scared too. I set it up for Friday at noon. Wish me luck! Pics of Princess are here:

1 comment:

  1. Aw she's so cute! She looks so happy :) It's terrible what she went through, but it seems like she's doing really well despite everything. I like Pepper :D

    ReplyDelete